Monday, July 21, 2008

what is a family anyway...

preface...


1. Mikayla spent the weekend with her Mom (which I can't remember happening before) because we are going to have her all this week for VBS at our church!


2. Mom took she and her 14 year old aunt camping near Deception Pass for the weekend.


3. I dropped Keith off at work with the thought that I'd be picking up Mikayla at 7, then swinging by to get him after work and get to our 8:30 co-ed game that evening.


3. I was home cleaning after dropping off Keith with my phone on vibrate (because it beeped in church so I shut off the ringer and forgot to turn it back on). Don't do this, here's why.


At about 3:50 I had this weird feeling that I should check my phone. I actually did the, oh no Keith probably has called me from work to check in and I've had my ringer off. Well little did I know how big of a deal that would be.


I had probably 12 missed calls. From a very upset husband of mine. When I called him the first bit of news I got just sent me into MOVE MOVE MOVE mode. Marina (Mikayla's Mom) had been rushed to the hospital and was in emergency surgery and Mikayla was terrified and I need to get to the hospital in Anacortes IMMEDIATELY. oh geez. Nice work Kim.


In the whole "not being able to get ahold of me and not having his car" distress he had called Cori and being the wonderful friend that she is she had gotten up from her nap and when I called, was just there to pick him up and get him up to the hospital. I was abotu 15 minutes behind them and speeding most of the way while friends and family found out where I and Keith needed to get to. Keith was getting a little more of the story on the way up and we ended up at the emergency room at Island Hospital by a little before 5pm.


Marina's dad met Keith and filled him in a little further (out of earshot of Mikayla) about the situation and what had all happened that day (we were still getting part of the story from Mikayla at 10 last night, she's definitely consumed with it all) From what we can all put together. They all went to bed, Marina not feeling well on Saturday night. Sunday morning she couldn't move anything but her arms. Elaine and Mikayla went to the Camp host for help, who then called 911 and the girls all got to ride in an ambulance (that's the exciting part for Mikayla) to Anacortes and Marina was IMMEDIATELY rushed in for surgery.


The doctors told the family that we're all very lucky to still have Marina with us. She lost half her blood. I'm going to keep some of the details of the whole thing private because quite frankly it's not what is important. What is important is that she'll be in the hospital recovering for 4-5 days and then home to her parents to recover a little further.


When we got to the hospital Mikayla was fine. She seemed still a little excited/flustered about the whole day. Meeting medics, doctors, family arriving, going back to camp to pick up, etc.etc. it had been quite a day already. But she seemed to be doing pretty good. She was smiley, excited to see Mommy when they finally let the family in and playing with Elaine and jumping around and stuff. I the cautious one started watching her immediately trying to get a read. She was just being 6. Processing all of what happened and totally fine to see Mom and still totally fine when it was time to go.


We left the hospital and headed over to Burlington to stop at Haggen and get some dinner and she was asking LOTS of questions and telling us more and more of what had happened that day. I think it was that she was finally alone to think about it all but on the way home she started getting more and more quiet. And the questions, oh they were fun. We cried together. We had lots of hugs (all of us) and we tried our best to all take care of each other. Seeing Marina and watching Mikayla with her has me just so weepy. Last night, I was a mess. This morning, I am a mess. Mikayla seems just fine. A little shook up but kids are SO reselient!

We had an excellent talk and chat about how God takes care of every little detail in life. How God had protected them all and how every single timing thing had just worked out.

We prayed together last night. Mikayla's second time praying (it's been a thing people, I aint pushing her on it) but last night we all passed out together and before it we prayed for Marina and our weird and wonderful family. Mikayla prayed that the doctors would take good care of Mommy and she'd feel better real soon (lots of questions about pain and how bad things hurt and how well medicine works, etc). Daddy prayed for Mommy and the whole family and Mikayla to have a good week. I prayed a thankful prayer of gratitude. I praised God for taking care of Marina. I thanked him for putting the right people in the right places for the girls to get help and for Mommy to get the help she needed. I don't even want to think about what would have happened if one thing hadn't gone right. It's just too much for me to deal with.

So today I'm thinking about my little family and how lucky we are today. I'm also thinking about how bored Marina must be so I'm collecting magazines and if you want to drop her a note I'm going up on Tuesday for a visit.

Oh yeah, it's her birthday tomorrow. talk about crummy.



5 comments:

Gullett Circus said...

Your family is in my thoughts and prayers. Glad you can be there for Mikayla, too.

Anonymous said...

Oh Hon!! you know I am praying!! please let us know if there is anything we can do!!!! ((((HUGS))))

Kristina said...

Understand the weeping, when Keith called i did the same, and reading this did the same also :( Give our love to little miss MIkayla. And thank you for taking such good care of both of them.. YOu are a true blessing.

Mom Linda said...

We are so grateful that God spared Marina's life--no other way to read this one! Mikayla prayed at our house, too, on Monday night. She "wished that God would have everybody that she knew pray for her mommy to get well." We baked cupcakes, then frosted them after VBS on Tuesday to take to mommy for her birthday. (Keith was taking her to the hospital to see her mommy.)
God's timing is so exquisitely perfect--that Mikayla is here for the week of VBS while Mommy could NO WAY take care of her!

The Daileys said...

Oh my Lord!!! OF course I am curious about the details, but you are right- that isn't what is important. I am so glad that God intervened and that he gave Mikayla peace in the midst of the situation. Her mommy certainly didn't need to worry about a hysterical daughter when she was facing this! Keep us updated on how everyone is doing with this! I'll be praying...