Monday, July 28, 2008

Tourists in our own town

It's turning into an annual tradition. Our Tourists in our Own Town day of fun. This year we tried to do things that were free/cheap, things we haven't done (one of them I hadn't even done) and kid friendly.

Keith picked up Mikayla from VBS and headed downtown. He arrived at my office around1:30 and we had until 4:30 when I had to be back at the office to relieve my receptionist for a dr's appointment. Handy that we were down here anyway, love when it works out!

We started with a walk up to Uwajimaya, I've taken Mikayla but Keith was a first timer. He didn't love it, I knew he wouldn't but he was a sport and tried. We walked around the store first and into the Hello Kitty section and then hit the food court. I FINALLY tried Pho and loved it. Beef broth with onion, scallion, thin sliced beef, rice noodles, bean sprouts, lime. it was SO good. Keith and Mikayla went for basic chinese take out. Orange Chicken, rice, chow mein. He didn't love that either. Next time Korean BBQ I think. or Hawaiian pulled pork that looked AMAZING! After lunch we hit the road and went under the city into the bus tunnel



Mikayla in the International district bus tunnel station waiting for our northbound ride.
We took the bus tunnel north to University and walked up a few blocks to the Seattle Central Library. It's gorgeous! The kids section is huge and we spent some time there researching Basilisk lizards and then headed up to the Columbia tower.




The Columbia Tower is the best and most inexpensive view in town. for 13$ for the three of us we had an almost 360 degree view on a beautiful day. (the space needle is MUCH shorter and more than that per PERSON)

They played in the rotating door a couple times. How funny.
Smith tower and my home in pioneer square, the red circle is my office.


I-5 looking south into the International district.

Looking North into downtown.
The Harbour, my old view. the water was beautiful!


Qwest Field in the distance

Two huge cruise ships over at the south pier, there was yet another up at pier 69. Busy tourist day!
Green roof. I'm a nerd but I think it's pretty cool!
We then headed to Magic Mouse toy store and didn't spend a cent. I don't know how. Mikayla loved it there. So did Keith, there's so many great family games, toys that use your imagination. It's a great place!

We then headed back to my office and Keith and Mikayla played on my computer while I was up at the front desk. Mikayla drew my boss Larry a picture, it was so cute.

We headed home and sent Keith in to get the BIG BIRTHDAY suprise ready and Mikayla and I went to the Safeway up by Tracy's to kill time and find my Kashi and instead we ran into Jim. Yep it finally happened. It was fine, short and sweet. I did however not waste any time in getting out of there after that and back to the condo we went to start playing
The Wii. yes people, we broke down and bought the Wii. It was Mikayla's birthday present, my mothers day present, his fathers day present, our whatever else present. let's say we won't be getting ANY presents for a while. And we went easy on Mikayla's party (i.e. no aquasox party or libby lu for her this year!) and it is SO FUN!! I can't even tell you how fun it is.
We stayed up way too late playing Mario Kart and bowling. good times.

1 comments:

Ashley said...

I love this idea of being a tourist in your own hometown! I live in Seattle too but have been here less than two years so I kind of still AM a tourist! :) Great blog!