Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Portland trip

This falls into the category of things I should have blogged but didn't...

In January we made the trip down to Portland to see my bro in law Mike with his Cavaliers


some exciting things that happened (besides the Cavs winning)...

1. it was my first time to see Shaq in person.

That is one big boy. I actually think I stared at him the entire game like he was a circus freak or something... I made the comment to Mom and Keith that now I think I know what David must have felt like when he saw Goliath. danggggg.

2. it was my first time in the Rose Garden and let me tell you, Portland loves their Trailblazers and it was a GOOD time, everyone was friendly and getting to the game on the max was AWESOME!

3. The MAX. public transportation done right. wow. pick up the train outside of the hotel, get dumped at the arena and then scoots you back to the hotel after. loved it

4. Our first trip to VooDoo Donuts. I don't think this place was around when I was in Portland more often and if it was the locals who took me around Portland should be shot (that was '94)

5. Breakfast at the hotel restaurant unlike any I've ever had before (the Original http://www.originaldinerant.com/index.php)



great eggs benedict, the place is like an upscale old diner but the most delicious food ever!

6. Our hotel! Courtyard Marriot city center. the place was gorgeous! great everything. we'll be back. LEED Gold and great artwork and the bedding was fantastic. loved every minute.

7. Our Waterfall trip - on our free day we walked around Portland in the morning and everyone bore with me while I scooted up to see if my pursemaker was open (not yet boo!) and then on a whim we decided it would be fun to head out to Multomah Falls. It'd been a long time between trips for me. The last trip would have been on the way from Portland to Walla Walla in '95? yowsa! It's a gorgeous drive along the Columbia river to the most beautiful waterfall I've seen in some time!

Keith and Dad and I walked up to the bridge and Keith continued on to head to the top of the falls, he almost made it before he realized he was fully out of communication from the rest of us and as he wasn't sure how long it'd take and how long we wanted to wait he came back down. We had a great bite to eat at the lodge and then hit the road for home.

8. the food... We had a big breakfast (the original) then a snack at Multnomah and then I forced my family to try German food (eh they say but I loved it) then we headed north to Spiffy's for the biggest, baddest, most awesome banana cream pie EVAH!!!


9. A trip to Cabella's... Mom and Dad hadn't been yet and I knew they'd freak! it was great! Dad could have made that his destination for the day and Keith and Mom and I had a blast! i heart you Cabella's.

We had a blast on the trip, it was so fun to see Mike and such fun with my parents! And Portland, you're pretty dang cool. I can't wait to get back!

2 comments:

Miller Moments said...

I've heard TONS of stuff about Voodoo donuts and next time I'm in Portland I'm definitely going, if anything just to say I've been. :)

LINDA said...

This was a GREAT FAMILY FUN 2 days! Thanks for being our designated driver :-)