Thursday, March 18, 2010

things I should have posted... Halloween 09!

See I'm catching some things up!

This halloween I had the bright idea of Mikayla and I making her costume... to save money....

yah right. we ended up spending a bit more than we would have just buying her something but I will say, she loved what she had, it was unique and really pretty easy (and quick)

Here's the run down.
We purchased 6$ worth of red swim suit fabric, about 10$ in tulle and a little bit of elastic at the fabric store. We also bought a 1$ headband and I had black pipe cleaners and yarn.

Mikayla sewed the red swimsuit fabric into a tube with the sewing machine following my pins (yay!), we then took a sharpie and drew the circles (dots)

I read instructions on how to make a tutu, your warning... it takes forever, you feel like you've tied tulle onto that string for eons, that and you cut the tool into about 1000 pieces. but it did come out really really cute.

I made two little pom poms with yarn and wrapped them with a pipe cleaner around the headband. actually came out super super cute!
Here she is!
The makeup was a little over the top, red lips and all. don't you love her eyes! liquid eyeliner is NOT fun to take off of an 8 year old though. you've been warned.

our very cute family carved pumpkin guarding our fireplace.
We had a blast, we went to my Mom's early to say hi, then to the church for our big festivities (with Keith AND Marina) then we went over to my Aunt Dewey's and trick or treated in her neighborhood, it was Marina's first trick or treat experience and a total blast!

2 comments:

LINDA said...

Between the two of you, it's a great job!

LINDA said...

Ah, the memories of making Halloween costumes! So pleased to see the heritage was worth something!